Sunday, February 9, 2014

Birthday Treats

It's Birthday Party Central at Landon's school this month! This week, they have a celebration every day. Sugar high will be in full effect! I'm considering sending a bottle of wine for his teachers, if they survive. 

Navigating birthday celebrations when you have food intolerances can be tricky. However, with proper planning and preparation, you can still enjoy the festivities without compromising your health or the health of your family. 

I made up a batch of gluten free cupcakes last month and popped the finished product in to the freezer. I made a very easy, 3 ingredient frosting at the same time. Now, when we have a party coming, I grab a cupcake, frost it and decorate it a day or so in advance. 

Here's the cupcake I decorated today, since we have a birthday party this afternoon. 


It's gluten free, food dye free and full of flavor! I try to keep these a surprise so Landon has something to look forward to each time. I decorate them differently, using things he likes that we have on hand. This time I used some really great non GMO marshmallows and raisin in the center. 

These are the marshmallows we like. 


I will warn you now, they are pricey. However, they are corn syrup and food dye free, which is important for us. We use them sparingly and keep them stored in a ziploc to keep them from drying out. 

I have used his bunny snacks as a topper and also plan to use dried coconut and dried fruit to create a face on the cupcakes in the future. 

Do you have any other ideas for me? If so, I would LOVE to hear from you!





No comments:

Post a Comment

I absolutely adore reading your comments and appreciate you taking the time to stop in to read my blog. Shine on and keep those comments coming!