Monday, July 15, 2013

Paleo Bread Review

As most of you know, we are mostly grain free and totally gluten free in our household. Well, Landon is anyway and I mostly am with a few indulgences here and there. We're still working on Scott. Ah-hem, that may never happen, by the way. 

I ordered this Paleo Bread from Julian Bakery and it arrived on our door step last week. Landon was excited and so was I! We immediately grabbed a couple of slices to try. He was VERY impressed. Me, well, it's definitely not the yeasty gluten filled bread most are used to eating. Personally, I love almond flour. I like the full feeling it provides and how it feels as you're chewing. It's satisfying. 



Landon likes both of the varieties equally. The almond flour variety (which actually contains almond flour and coconut flour) is softer. It's far superior to the yeast free rice loaf I have been purchasing. The rice loaf is very dense and not at all soft. The crust is so hard that Landon would always leave that part so I began cutting the crust off; something I said I would never do for my kids! *sigh* Back to the almond flour bread. It is delicate. I leave it on the counter as I'm spreading our desired filling on to it so it doesn't fall apart. Once it's put together, it holds up well enough. It doesn't have a big flavor, which is great really. I load it up with almond butter and raw honey or apricot jam. Landon devours it, crust and all. Win-win!

The coconut flour variety isn't a whole lot different except it does hold together better. The crust is a bit harder but still pretty soft all in all. I like it with a bit of Nutella. Yum!

Bottom line: This bread is a wonderful alternative for those who are seeking a grain free/gluten free option. It's pricey at $7.99 per loaf, especially when you factor in shipping. Next time I order, I will buy more in order to save on shipping costs. I may even attempt to make this on my own! 

UPDATE: I found this bread at a local health food store, {Food for Thought} for just $7.99 a loaf! I don't have to start making my own just yet. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

I absolutely adore reading your comments and appreciate you taking the time to stop in to read my blog. Shine on and keep those comments coming!