Thursday, September 12, 2013

Gluten Free Friday - Why?

I read an article over on the Huffington Post the other day, which talks about gluten intolerance and whether or not it's just a fad. It was interesting and got me thinking about the reasons we choose to be gluten free. 

Here's the thing. Not everyone is gluten intolerant. Many people eat gluten every single day and are seemingly fine. Or are they? It's not up to me to tell others how they should or shouldn't eat. I'm just here telling our story and sharing how removing gluten has benefited us.

We didn't decide one day to become gluten free because of some kind of fad. It was something we felt was medically necessary in order to help our son heal after a diagnosis of ulcerative colitis in 2011. We did a lot of research then enlisted the help of a medical doctor who specializes in dietary needs and nutrition. We still see her every few months to make sure we're on track and up to date with what is best for Landon. A big factor in his healing was removing wheat, which causes high levels of inflammation in his system. For him, inflammation in his intestines is a very bad thing. If a product contains wheat, it usually contains gluten. For Landon, we chose to remove all grains with the exception of rice, as his little body was in the biggest part of it's healing process. Rice is still the only grain he gets to have, with the exception of a bit of organic cornmeal which is in one of his breakfast cereals.

For myself, removing gluten has a direct impact on how I feel physically, mentally and emotionally. I know, it may sound crazy, but it's totally true. Wheat is a big one for me that causes a lot of physical discomfort. Every single time I remove wheat and gluten from my diet, my aches and pains go away completely. I also sleep better, have more focus, better energy and am all around a happier person. I often wonder if the large amounts of wheat and gluten I ate during my pregnancy with Landon was passed along to him in utero, causing the intolerance's he now has.    

I have several friends who have Celiac Disease. For them, an exposure to even the tiniest amount of gluten means days of sickness. Trust me (and them), it's not fun.

What I know for sure is gluten is incredibly hard to digest and can truly mess with gut flora. Probiotics are a staple in our house and we don't go a day without them!

Here's an interesting article discussing ways gluten can be detrimental to your health. Here's another article which highlights all the different levels of sensitivity. I found both of these to be helpful and interesting to read.

Happy Gluten Free Friday! 



  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I absolutely adore reading your comments and appreciate you taking the time to stop in to read my blog. Shine on and keep those comments coming!