Thursday, September 5, 2013

Love and Writing and a VERY Special Poem

I come from a family of writers. My Mom, Sister's, Aunt's, Cousin's; they are all gifted writers. I even see this gift in my now college age niece and nephew. It's truly an awesome thing. My Grandmother wrote poetry. Her sister, my Aunt Cleo, still writes poetry and even penned a book about her life. She has kept a journal for many years and always encourages those around her to do the same. Her daughter, Marsha, also writes and publishes her works on line. More on that in a moment.

I have written numerous journals in my life. Now, I have this blog. For me, writing is cathartic. I write when I'm happy, sad, unsure, mad, feeling vulnerable, excited...you name it! It's most definitely therapeutic. Plus, I am making a record of my life for my kids and future grand kids. 

{I feel like this back story is necessary for better understanding of what I've written below.} 
When Landon was at Children's Mercy the first time, we were sad and lost. Although we had a diagnosis at that time, his health was still declining and we had no idea what would ultimately happen with him. We were lonely. When we were hospitalized in Wichita, we had visitors every day. Our friends and family would come to chat, to check in on Landon, to check in on us, to give us hugs, to hold me as I sobbed. They brought food and reassured us that we weren't alone. Sometimes, they just showed up and sat silently with us. The simple presence of a loved one, sitting next to you, brings an immense amount of comfort. When we arrived at Children's Mercy in Kansas City, we were alone. We didn't know that hospital, everyone we met was a stranger and we were terrified. Not to mention, Landon was quarantined to his room the whole time so we weren't even able to get out and enjoy the play room or even walk the halls.

As we were sitting in his room one gloomy afternoon, we heard a knock at our door. In walked my Aunt Cleo, Marsha and her husband Steve. We didn't know they were coming and it was the most warm, comforting surprise. We chatted a bit, sat together and ended our visit with a prayer from Steve. Our visit from them put a bright spot in a very dark, sad day.

As I told you previously, Marsha is a writer. She and I keep in touch through Facebook and we also make a point to visit them when we're in KC for Landon's continuing care. She's one of the sweetest, most kind individuals I've ever met. Today, I received a message from her with a link to her most recent poem, titled Love for Landon. Please take a moment to read it. I am so touched by this act of love and kindness. It's a beautifully written piece and something I will cherish forever. Thank you, Marsha, for sharing your gift with all of us. 

Thank you all for taking the time keep up with my journey here. I greatly appreciate all of the love and continued support we are so generously given every single day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I absolutely adore reading your comments and appreciate you taking the time to stop in to read my blog. Shine on and keep those comments coming!