Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Last Year

First of all, I promise not to do a million of those "A Year Ago Today We Were {fill in the blank}" posts.  That being said, I want to talk a little about what the last year has been like for us.


December 6th, 2011.
Sad and terrified because we didn't know what was wrong with our baby.



Last year at this time, Landon was unexpectedly admitted to the hospital.  It was insanely terrifying for Scott and I.  We had no idea what was happening or what was even wrong with our son, other than he was excessively bleeding and his hemoglobin was critically low.  I remember the excitement I felt following one of his blood transfusions, when we saw his cheeks get the slightest pink tinge to them, because he had been pale for so long.  We spent two weeks at Wesley before being flown to Children's Mercy in Kansas City where we spent another week trying to get our son well.  We were released on Christmas Eve, thinking Landon was all better and on his way to full healing.  How wrong we were.    

When we arrived home the afternoon of December 24th, 2011, we were greeted with a clean house (THANK  YOU Lindsey Kay and Big Sis Shan!) adorned with many unexpected gifts under our tree (THANK YOU Lewis Family, Childs Family, Shope Family and many other anonymous generous people!).  It was supposed to be a really happy time.  We were HOME!


We usually have Christmas Eve at my sister's house but last year everyone decided it would be best for them all to come to us.  Within an hour of getting home from Kansas City, my family began to arrive for our Christmas celebration.  It was truly wonderful to be together and feel somewhat "normal" after 3 long weeks of hospitals, procedures, tests, blood transfusions, feeding tubes, pokes, prods, you name it.  I was trying to soak in all the excitement, love and good feelings that go with that time of year.  It was honestly very surreal.  Around 8:00 that evening everyone packed up and went home.  Then it hit me.  I was sad.  Very sad.  Landon went in to a Prednisone fueled fit which Scott and I could not get him out of for nearly 2 hours.  I ended the night on my knees at the foot of my bed, sobbing uncontrollably, praying for peace.  Merry Frickin' Christmas.


I still cry at times when I hear Christmas carols.  There are a few that take me right back to his hospital room.  Trans Siberian Orchestra will get me about every time.  I sometimes cry out of sadness but more often it's out of gratitude for where we are today.     


In the last year, Landon has made some serious progress!  Scott and I have learned more about IBD, proper nutrition and poop than we could have ever imagined!  I will seriously talk about poop to anyone, anytime and it's like talking about what we watched on TV last night.  It's such a normal part of our lives!  You wanna tell me your poop stories?  Go for it!    


If you've followed Landon's story at all, you know that we've seen some very dark times in the last year.  You also know that we've seen some miraculous healing happen as well!  I fully and completely believe our Boy Wonder will persevere and is paving the road for others in similar situations.  



December 5th, 2012.
At home with my darling Boy Wonder, who is healing!


December 5th, 2012.
Getting sweet lovin' from my darling Boy Wonder!
 


Christmas 2012 is going to be awesome!  We have already been enjoying the season immensely!  Landon is reveling in the magic that surrounds us and we are loving teaching him about all the traditions we love most. 




Landon's FIRST Christmas.
I had to add this one because he's just too cute!

I am incredibly grateful to be where we are today and to have my son back.  He is happy.  He is whole.  He is healing.  He is awesome.


Merry Christmas Season to ALL!!!       

No comments:

Post a Comment

I absolutely adore reading your comments and appreciate you taking the time to stop in to read my blog. Shine on and keep those comments coming!