Friday, August 31, 2012

Lies, Lies, Unintentional Lies.

Before I became a Mom I told all kinds of unintentional lies.  I didn't realize I was doing it at the time but it happened.  Here are a few examples:


  • Lie: I won't ever put my child in front of a television so I can get something done around the house.
    • Reality: Landon watches Elmo every morning while I shower.  Does that make me a bad Mom?  Hell NO!  That makes me innovative and efficient.  Obviously.

  • Lie: I won't co sleep with my child.
    • Reality: I do whatever it takes to sleep.  My kid sleeps next to me every night and I spend the majority of the night removing his tiny, dagger like feet from my ribs.

  • Lie: I won't ever take my child in public unless he's totally presentable.
    • Reality: He gets all kinds of messed up on the ride to places sometimes.  We've  had to clean him up on arrival on more than one occasion.  There was even this one time, we were at the store and he was covered in orange crap from his bunny crackers and he wasn't wearing shoes.  I'm talking orange all over his hands and white shirt.  He was a little over a year old, which explains the lack of shoes.  Right?  Anyway, don't judge. 
 
  • Lie: I will walk away before ever losing my cool with my perfect little angel.
    • Reality: My kid is not a perfect angel!  Sometimes he's the exact opposite of an angel.  I can think of another word that starts with "A" which would be a much better description.  You're thinking "A-hole" aren't you?  I was thinking "animal".  Shame on you.  He throws tantrums and thrashes around like a total idiot, following me around and clinging to my clothing (at times with his teeth!) like a deranged animal.  I TOTALLY LOSE MY COOL!  Thank God for Time Outs.  For him and for me!

  • Lie: I will use only organic products and feed our child nothing but organic, pure foods.
    • Reality: Psshhhaaaw!  Yeah right!  We do really well with the food stuff, however, when it comes to bath time, he's getting washed with the cheap crap.  It smells good and washes down the drain anyway.  If it doesn't irritate his skin, it's good enough.

  • Lie: I will keep my house totally clean and all the laundry kept up for our angel.
    • Reality: He's not an angel!  Also, my house is a wreck a lot of the time and my husband does a lot of the washing and drying of said laundry with our non-organic laundry soap.

  • Lie: I will value and soak in every single moment, even the not so pleasant times.
    • Reality: Although I truly do make an effort to live in the moment and appreciate my time with Landon, there are days when I am so glad it's bedtime.  Even if that means toddler feet in my ribs.  At least it's quiet.  Mostly.

  • Lie: I will NOT have a bratty child.
    • Reality: While I do not believe my child is a total brat, he definitely has his moments.  Sometimes even *gasp* in public!  Guess what?  We survive and move on.  It happens and the world actually doesn't end.
  
The moral of this blog post?  Even the BEST parents (like my husband and I, duh.) sometimes lie.  Even if it's not on purpose. 

Another moral of this post?  It's ok.  In then end, as long as you love your kids, do right by them and are honest after they are born, you're most likely gonna be ok. 

One more thing.  Scott and I aren't perfect but Landon is totally stuck with us anyway.  The joke is on him!   

    

No comments:

Post a Comment

I absolutely adore reading your comments and appreciate you taking the time to stop in to read my blog. Shine on and keep those comments coming!