Sunday, March 3, 2013

Blood

Here's the thing.  I am a blood donor.  Always have been.  I gave for my first time in the gymnasium of South High.  I was 17 years old.  For many years I gave regularly and then somehow got out of the habit.  In December of 2011, donating blood took on a whole new meaning when my then 20 month old son received his first of numerous transfusions.  Many anonymous donors saved my sons life.  His hemoglobin at it's lowest level was 4.  Normal for a child his age is anywhere between 10 to 14.  I made a commitment during his time in the hospital to start donating again regularly.

I am passionate about donating and I believe that every single person who is eligible should take the time to donate.  Regularly.  Every 56 days.

This weekend, I was once again reminded of why blood donation is so important.

You see, this beautiful girl right here, her name is Anna and she received approximately 30 units of blood in a 24 hour period of time.  Her life was saved by many, many, many anonymous donors.  At one point her hemoglobin was down to 2.7.  They kept giving her blood and eventually her body began to accept it. Blood saved her life.  Period.  Well, blood and her Mama, who pushed to get things done to get Anna the help she needed.   



Anna and her family really need your prayers.  She is in critical condition as of now, although considered to be stable.  Pray for her to make a full recovery and vision her looking just as you see her in the photo above; happy, smiling, healthy, full of life.  Pray for her Mama and Daddy that they may find some sort of comfort through all of this.  They are an amazing family who have already been through so much.  

Lastly, donate blood.  We are holding a blood drive in honor of Landon March 15th and 16th at our local American Red Cross.  It's the perfect time for everyone to come together, make a difference and save some lives.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

I absolutely adore reading your comments and appreciate you taking the time to stop in to read my blog. Shine on and keep those comments coming!