Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Close Call

I have debated and debated with myself regarding whether or not to make this post.  This one here, I'm being very vulnerable.  I'm opening myself up to criticism and judgement.  I get that.  However, I decided I needed to post this because it could help someone else from repeating my horrible mistake in their own home.  If I am able to help even one other person, then it's worth all the judgement and criticism anyone can lay on me.

First off, we've had a somewhat yucky week in our house.  We're all coming off being sick over the weekend and then Landon came down with a fever Monday evening as well.  Thankfully, Tuesday, he woke up fever free.  I had a horrendous headache that latched on over the weekend and would not go away. 

We are preparing for Potty Training which will commence tomorrow morning!  When I arrived home from work yesterday, Landon and I packed up and headed to the store so he could pick out some new big boy undies.  He was VERY EXCITED as you can see by the video.  We were having a fun night!

We got home and I began to make dinner.  It was going to be a special night because we were all going to eat together as a family.  He had his special gluten free rice pasta and I was making some pasta for Scott and I too.  Fun night!  That's what we were having.   

Then it happened.....

I was taking the pot of boiling pasta to the sink to drain it.  Landon was right under my feet and Scott was just steps away.  As I neared the sink, I said to Landon, "Please move honey, what Mommy has is very hot!"  He started to move and I lost my grip.  It happened that fast.  Hot water right on my sweet boys head.  I believe it actually hit me first then fell to him.  Luckily, Scott saw it all about to go down and scooped Landon up very quickly.  Thank God for the quick actions of Daddy!  Very little of the hot water actually made contact with Landon.  We immediately applied a cold compress to his head and he honestly cried for less than a minute.  I think it scared him most of all.  We put a nice juicy layer of aloe on and then we all ate dinner together. 

Except for a little pinkness on his scalp, Landon is completely fine this morning.  Thank God.  Thank You, God.  Thank YOU.

I, however, am an emotional mess over this.  How could I let that happen to my child?  What a stupid mistake!  If he would have been looking up at me instead of at the floor this could have a much different ending.  I'm supposed to protect him, not be the cause of harm! 

I know my emotions will eventually subside but the lesson I learned will remain for a lifetime.  Never again will I have him, or any other child, at my feet when I have something scalding hot in my hands.  Message received loud and clear.  Lesson learned.  The hard way.  Oh yes, I'm innately aware, it could have been much worse.  I'm grateful for this lesson and that my sweet child is okay. 

Has anything like this ever happened to you?  Please tell me I'm not alone here!  What kind of close calls have you had that you're willing to share?



11 comments:

  1. thank you, Leslee, for sharing this with us. You are a wonderful Momma and this could happen to any of us. I am so so happy that Landon wasn't seriously hurt. My heart skipped a few beats. Reading this reminds me how easily an accident can happen, so I GREATLY appreciate you sharing this as a reminder. Thank God he is okay, but I know I would feel just sick. I am positive, though, that you will never have this happen again and, hopefully, the feelings you are having will lessen over time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Joanna,

    Thank you so much for your kinds words. You are an amazing Mama too and I so appreciate your understanding and support. I wish we could protect our little ones from all harm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This happens to the best of us and you will be ok. I have had a close call with my baby girl. First being I slammed her finger in the car door. I honestly didn't think that her hand was in the way. Fortunately it didn't break but the look she gave me completely broke my heart. Blake always had this habit of resting his hand on the window. We had electric windows at the time and I rolled it up not thinking anything about it and rolled his little fingers up in the window. Now I always make sure their hands are far away from the trunk or door when I close it. We also have manual windows, stone age I know. There are changes that we make but we are extremely thankful our babies are ok.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have done a few things that definitely did not make me mother of the year. I have let my 2 week old roll off the couch (my defense I didn't think he was supposed to be rolling) I have shut my daughters finger in the door. Rolled my sons hand up in the window. These are the things that I can think of off the top of my head. But they survived although I often wonder how they did at times. :)
    SO glad he is ok and you will be too ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the ugly beautiful of parenting. We've all done something of the like that God have us as a gift to teach you a lesson, the hard way. You took the gift and learned from it and helped educate others. That's making the ugly beautiful. May the God of your hope so fill you with all joy and peace in believing [through the experience of your faith] that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound and be overflowing (bubbling over) with hope.
    —Romans 15:13

    ReplyDelete
  6. Latisha - Thanks for reminding me that it's normal and okay to have accidents! Things like this truly do make us better Mama's! I appreciate you sharing your stories too.

    Bridget - Thanks for you kind words. I'm trying to make the best of this situation. Sometimes the hardest lessons are the ones that really stick.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know I am just a kid, but i think you are an AMAZING mom. I know you are a little shooken, but that is a good thing. People make mistakes, which is good, because if we didn't we wouldn't learn anything. Now I am not saying that Landon getting hurt is good. I am saying that it is a good thing you learned. Now you won't have any other children at your feet with any scolding hot object/liquid. So he didn't get hurt. He is ok. You are doing great! (:

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok i know i am just a kid, but you are a great mom. I have been at your house and you are doing AMAZING. It is a good thing you learned. If no-one made mistakes, nobody would learn. I am not saying that it was a good thing that landon could of gotton hurt/kinda did, but if it wouldn't of happened, he could of possibly gotton hurt if he was looking up. So you are doing great! (:

    -cierra-

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cierra - You are a doll. Thanks for your sweet words.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Besides, if you didnt make that mistake, maybe later on in life he were to been looking up and all the water poored on him. Just look at that way. It will make you feel better. (:

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely adore reading your comments and appreciate you taking the time to stop in to read my blog. Shine on and keep those comments coming!